Monday, September 01, 2008

Blueberry Lemon Pound Cake with Blueberry Butter

I have 3 pint of blueberries that I was hoping to make into smoothies and a batch of muffin. So as I grabbed yogurt out from fridge, I saw sour cream tub next to it. Did not even remember I have it, so I checked to make sure it's indeed sour cream inside. I re-use these tubs for random things. Lo behold, almost 1 cup of sour cream in it, with expiration date of Sept 3rd! Gotta use it!!

The only thing that come to my mind is this Ol' Pound Cake Recipe. Just a plain pound cake with sour cream, but thought it'd be mighty good with blueberries and lemon zest! However, it's not going to need 3 pints of blueberries, so..thinking thinking thinking..and fruit butter sounds just right, huh? Blueberries butter/ jelly/ preserve - I still can't exactly figure out the difference. Jelly is smoother and jell like, made with pectin? Preserve is more chunkier? Butter is basically a whipped jelly/ preserve? I should know, because the family I lived with in high school LOVED to make all sort of preserve and jelly. However, I was quickly defeated and no longer paid any attention came the tedious work of canning.

Anyway..blueberry butter slather on top of slice of pound cake - that sounds good, doesnt it?!

Blueberry butter:
- 2 pint of blueberries
- 3 tbsp of sugar (more if you like it sweeter, but neither of us have sweet tooth)
- 2 cloves
- 1 lemon peel
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup of water

How:
- Dump everything in a pot. Let it simmer until it thicken up - about 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- I use hand-blender and blend/ whip it until all smooth and nice.

The only similar thing to this that I ever made was pineapple filling for cookies. Therefore, I was not sure whether it'd turn out as expected. But, to my own amazement, it's super easy and yummmmeyy!! I have always liked tart jam so I ate about two spoonful just like that, with the excuse of 'trying to see if it tastes right.' It only yields about 1 cup, that said, it'll be gone in couple days.

Blueberry Lemon Pound Cake:
- 1 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/2 tbsp of baking soda
- 1 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 eggs
- zest from 1 lemon
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup blueberries

How:
- Sift flour and baking soda together and put aside.
- Beat sugar and butter until they mix thoroughly. Add in sour cream, beat until creamy.
- Add flour mixture in stages. Taking turn with eggs. Flour - egg - flour - egg - flour - egg. Beat until all are incorporated.
- Fold in zest and juice of lemon and blueberries.
- Pour into a 4x8 loaf pan and bake in preheated 325° oven for about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Insert toothpick in the center to check on done-ness.

Is not overly sweet, moist with nice crust on top and just perfect with the butter! Sort of wish I put an effort in taking down bigger loaf pan instead of using a medium size pan I happen to store 'within reach.' Kitchen this size, some rarely use stuff just have to be stored somewhere - in this case, the corner top shelf of wall cabinet. The batter overflowed a little over the rim. But oh well...Vik wolfed down two thick slices with huge dollop of butter. Came my running partner, took 2 slices home. Packed few slices for Vik's cousin along with some butter. The overflow part is nowhere to be seen anymore!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I can have that for my breakfast with the entire cup of bluberry butter! The restaurant we went to, nowhere in comparison to your Indo cooking. - Lara -

Dee said...

It sounds more than good, Cecil! I can't afford to cook with blueberries here because it's just too expensive. I'll just drool over yours for a bit, then go sulk quietly in the corner.

CECIL said...

dee: haha..let's sulk together! you, over blueberry and i sulk over rambutan, duku, salak and durian! :D

CECIL said...

lara, flattery will not get you nowhere these days!! :P of course there is nothing to compare, you get to eat my food for free. let's see what you gotta say when i start charging you!!